All students coming into the SDC are required to have a laptop computer that meet certain specifications. SDC’s computing infrastructure is Windows-based and all software/class instruction is given on Microsoft Windows-based computers.
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit Enterprise, or Pro
- CPU Type: Single or Multi-Core Intel, Xeon, or i-Series processor or AMD equivalent with SSE2 technology. Highest affordable CPU speed rating is recommended.
- Hard Disk: 500 GB minimum, 1 TB recommended
- Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080, HiDPI display support
- Memory: 16-32 GB RAM
- Graphics: 64 bit dedicated (discrete) video card supporting Microsoft DirectX12 and Open GL 2.0 capable
- Software purchases will be required depending on the class or made available via Citrix
BUY OR RENT?
You must provide the funding for your own laptop. This gives you your choice of vendor and equipment. Depending on your circumstances, financial aid may be available.
WSU Coretech has purchase options and offers an educational discount to students. If purchasing a laptop is not an option, the WSU Libraries have short term rental options (4-hour, no cost), while WSU CougTech/Crimson Desk has long term rental options (semester, plus, for cost).
Only students admitted to the major of Architecture, Construction Management, Interior Design, or Landscape Architecture are required to purchase a laptop.
For information about system requirements, software, and setup, contact the Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture IT Systems and Services.
Students that are a certified major or graduate student in one of the design programs at the SDC are charged a student computing fee of $80/semester ($160/year). Certified construction management students are charged $60/semester ($120/year). Fees are applied to student accounts at the beginning of each semester and support the cloud-based software and computing environment at the SDC. The fee reduces personal computing software and hardware requirement costs incurred by students.
Students that are a certified major or graduate student in one of the design programs at the SDC are charged a shop fee of $55/semester ($110/year). Fees are applied to student accounts at the beginning of each semester and provide access to high-quality equipment and supplies for both digital and traditional model-making, prototyping, and large-scale fabrications.