LAPTOP COMPUTER REQUIREMENT
All students coming into the SDC are required to have a laptop computer that meet certain specifications. SDC’s computing infrastructure is Windows-based and all software/class instruction is given on Microsoft Windows-based computers.
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit Enterprise, or Pro
- CPU Type: Single or Multi-Core Intel, Xeon, or i-Series processor or AMD equivalent with SSE2 technology. Highest affordable CPU speed rating is recommended.
- Hard Disk: 500 GB minimum, 1 TB recommended
- Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080, HiDPI display support
- Memory: 16-32 GB RAM
- Graphics: 64 bit dedicated (discrete) video card supporting Microsoft DirectX12 and Open GL 2.0 capable
- Software purchases will be required depending on the class or made available via Citrix
BUY OR RENT?
You must provide the funding for your own laptop. This gives you your choice of vendor and equipment. Depending on your circumstances, financial aid may be available.
Only students admitted to the major of Architecture, Construction Management, Interior Design, or Landscape Architecture are required to purchase a laptop.
For information about system requirements, software, and setup, contact the Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture IT Systems and Services.
IT STUDENT UPDATES
Trimble Lab is Open! – Earlier this week, your Cougar Cards were added to allow you access to the lab, Monday – Friday 8a – 5pm. We are working to make the computers available after hours virtually. Once we get that working, you will use the same link as above. Before you all race in there, there are a few rules that must be observed AT ALL TIMES.
- NO Food or Drink is allowed in the lab.
- Do not prop the door open or allow others in. Every student must use their badge to enter the room at all times. If for some reason you don’t have badge access, please send email to Professor Vahid Vahdat, or visit the IT room in Carpenter 425.
- Do not misuse the computers or equipment. Any damages or theft will cause the room to be closed for all students. The room has security measures in place and will be monitored accordingly. Any infractions or student conduct issues will be addressed promptly.
- Absolutely do not move any tables or chairs. Some of this will cause damage to the infrastructure to the room.
The computers in the room aren’t the newest around, so there are some applications that are not supported unfortunately, but they do have the following software available for you to use.
- Adobe ( acrobat, illustrator, indesign, lightroom, photoshop)
- Autodesk (3ds, InfraWorks, AutoCAD, Maya, Navis, ReCap, Revit, Fusion)
- Epic Games Launcher
- MS Office
- Trimble (SketchUp, CM Estimator)
- Rhino (coming soon)
For the full list of hardware donated, and ways you can access them, please visit our Trimble Lab page. https://labs.wsu.edu/trimble-technology-lab/resources/