Summary of Duties
The gallery manager oversees the Carpenter Hall Gallery, executive display spaces, and serves as faculty for students enrolled in 499 credits related to the gallery.
Appointment and Position
The gallery manager—either a faculty or staff member, is appointed annually by the director. Incumbent gallery managers may have appointments extended (per director discretion). The gallery manager is an extended service activity, requiring curatorial, creative, and organizational skills at a high professional level. The extensive workload for this position must be taken into account by the director and program heads, as appropriate, in considering course assignments and annual reviews.
The gallery manager provides consistency in exhibition coordination, high quality exhibition design and presentation, recognition to each discipline through exhibitions, student exposure to traveling exhibits related to the mission of the SDC, and the sharing of SDC faculty and student work. With the assistance of 499 students, the gallery manager oversees the following areas as appropriate:
- Exhibition Design: Overall gallery space organization, repositioning walls and lighting to best maximize communication, traffic flow, and overall viewing experience.
- Exhibition Installation: Physical installation of projects to be displayed on walls and pedestals, exhibitor bios and title cards where appropriate.
- Opening Reception: Coordinating refreshments, organizing student staffing, and photography for receptions and special events in the gallery.
- Poster Advertising: Designing, printing, mounting and displaying the exhibition posters describing the exhibit.
- Publicity: Timely email blasts, social media posts, flyers to be posted throughout Carpenter and Daggy Halls, newspaper advertising (Daily Evergreen, Moscow-Pullman Daily News, Whitman County Gazette, etc), radio (NWPR, WSU radio).
- Exhibition Take-Down: Careful removal of all projects at close of exhibit for retrieval by contact faculty member and/or students by a predetermined day. All projects not collected will be disposed/recycled or stored as appropriate.
Additional Services as Needed
- Ideas for student club bulletin board displays; periodic maintenance of additional display areas within school or college facilities; photographing opening receptions for posting to the school’s social media sites; growing the gallery program in an effort to strengthen the SDC and serve as a resource to promote a greater understanding of each discipline within the school, and build gallery attendance into school culture.