Summary of Duties
Performs complex engineering technician work such as independently designing complete systems, peripherals, data acquisition programs or interfaces. Responsibilities include coordinating, maintaining, and operating the college wood shop; developing a safety program to ensure appropriate training and operation of tools, equipment, and shop space; assisting teaching faculty in delivery of certain courses; assisting and instructing students, faculty, and staff in shop usage; training and supervising student shop assistants; maintaining tools and equipment, and ensuring that the shop is a safe and welcoming facility for users.
Design and Fabrication (50%)
- Provide a workshop-learning environment where students can gain the skills to solve three-dimensional problems through hands on experience.
- Assist faculty with the teaching of wood-working courses. Provide training and instruction for the safe operation of wood working tools and equipment.
- Help students determine appropriate technique and procedure for resolving various construction challenges.
- Act as a resource for information on materials, techniques, processes and practices.
- Assist Performing Arts staff and members of the student theatre organization STAGE with projects related to performances in the Jones and Wadleigh theatres.
- Work with Performing Arts staff to coordinate shop activities with the Hones Theatre performance schedule.
- Assist students and faculty with projects that directly relate to coursework and research.
- Perform programming, maintenance, training, scheduling of CNC router and laser cutters.
- Train and supervise irregular help and work-study employees in proper and safe shop techniques and skills. Train shop employees to interact effectively with all shop users, creating a user-friendly environment in the shops such that persons with wide ranging skills and experiences feel welcome.
Shop Safety (15%)
- Provide a safe and clean working environment for shop users by implementing and ensuring compliance with safety policies and practices.
- Conduct safety orientations for individuals and groups of new users on an ongoing basis.
- Establish and maintain documentation records for safety training.
Equipment and Inventory (10%)
- Plan for and purchase consumables, tools, and new equipment to expand or improve shop capabilities.
- Track inventory of wood shop tools and equipment and evaluate new equipment and techniques recommended for purchase of replacement tools and equipment.
- Perform preventative maintenance requirements, troubleshoot equipment malfunctions, anticipate needed supplies, and maintain inventory of such supplies.